Friday, July 13, 2012

I scream for ice cream!

With the summer in full force here in NYC, I have been having this itch lately to make some extremely delicious ice cream. Also, after last week's hit-and-miss attempt at buying me some Milkmade ice cream at Story my cravings for this perfect summer treat have just been growing and growing to the point of combustion. (I still fully intend on making my way back to Story to grab me a pint later this weekend. I can make a good ice cream, but they have a supreme, celestial gift, those milkmaids. Plus, the ice cream that I've made will surely already be gobbled up by then, and I'll need more!)
I decided to make a raspberry- rose ice cream with white chocolate chunks. I wish I could take credit for this fabulous idea of marrying these flavors, but I got the recipe from the husband's Rosa Mexicano cookbook.
Tangent: If you've never been to Rosa Mexicano, you're missing out! Stephen introduced me to this place when we were dating. He has Mexican roots, and has always been bummed by the lack of authentic fare (aside from a small pocket of restaurants in Queens) here in NYC. Although not entirely what I would consider authentic, Rosa holds a fair core of traditional Mexican cooking but with a slightly more upscale and innovative take. Plus it's delicious and the ambience is colorful and romantic. End of tangent.
Back to my ice cream. I started by getting some good, wholesome ingredients. Off to the Greenmarket for some fresh, organic raspberries and cage-free eggs. (It took some serious self control not to eat all of the raspberries before even getting home. They were like candy they were so juicy and tart.) Then I went in search of some rose water. This can be hard to find, but it is commonly used in Middle Eastern cuisine so you can usually find some at a spice market such as Kalustyan's. Or at a specialty foods store, such as Fairway- which is where I got mine. I've never been to Kalustyan's and was eager to check it out, but Fairway was closer and I had my little sous chef in tow (in the baby carrier) and wanted to make it snappy. The cream and chocolate I got from my local grocery store. I used Green and Black's white chocolate.
Below are pics of the official ice cream making and the finished product. You're allowed to be jealous.
Cooking the raspberries, sugar and lime juice.

Cream, milk, sugar and egg yolks.

Rose water

My trusty Evelyn (the name of my mixer) doing her job making the mixture into ice cream.

Finished product. This is about a 1/4 of what was made.  

4 comments:

  1. I kept skipping down to the finished product! That's my only problem, I don't have the patience to make it I just want to eat it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha- I know how you feel! I'll make you guys some next time we're in Utah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously... this blog is going to drive me crazy! I NEED to taste EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will eat our hearts out when we get back from "Babaworld"!

    ReplyDelete