Monday, July 30, 2012

Why I survive here

There are many reasons why I choose to live in NYC.
Fascinating, driven people. Breathtaking architecture. Diversity in religion, race and sexual orientation. Stellar education. Fabulous collections of mind blowing art. Fashion. Theatre. Music. Comedy. Drag bingo night. The list is endless.
Reason number one, without question, is GOOD FOOD.
My sister is in town right now, and so naturally we are eating our way through the city. We have sipped Frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity, gobbled up Creme Brulee donuts at Doughnut Plant, sampled a variety of delicious fare at Chelsea Market, D.O.C. pizza at L'asso, burgers at The Burger Joint, and of course, Salty Pimps at Big Gay Ice Cream. And folks,we haven't even warmed up yet.
Call me crazy, but when I'm busy consuming a pizza that was made fresh, just for me, minutes before it was brought out, with fire-oven roasted crust, tomato sauce that is certified by the Italian government (I'm not joking), imported buffalo mozzerella cheese and organic, locally grown basil, I can't help but feel that it is worth all of the hardships that a middle- class citizen of this city must endure in order to survive here.
I pay an arm and a leg for rent. I carry my Cadillac of a stroller up and down the blasted subway stairs almost every day. I encounter crazy people left and right. There is often dog shit on the street that some inconsiderate person failed to clean up after their dog finished his/her business. When I go running I am regularly inhaling exaust and garbage- infused air. I usually fall asleep to the ever soothing beat of a merengue tune that someone is blasting from their car until two in the morning.
And friends- it is worth it. It is worth all of it just to have the world at my feet in the way of good food. The famous saying: "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere." rings true. It's not really all that hard to do though. You just have to have something that inspires you to survive. Mine is good food.
Amen.

6 comments:

  1. LOL. Great post, Jen! You totally made my mouth water. Hailee told us last week she was headed off to visit you. Hope you guys have a blast together! Luv ya! Eat lost! Say hi to Steven and Arden! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liesel! Yes, Hay is in town and we're having a blast. You should come visit sometime- we'd love to have you!

      Delete
  2. Reading this post only multiplies my desire to come and visit NYC! Hopefully I will be able to work out a time to come out there and visit you guys in the next few years. Or better yet, land some sort of sweet internship there and get to actually live in the city for a more extended period of time. Can't wait to read more of your blog postings Jenn, love you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm sold on the internship idea! We would love to have you so close. Thanks for reading! Love you too. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Without question... the food is amazing! When I do plan a trip to NYC, of course I think of you, Stephen, and my incredibly beautiful and hilarious grandaughter, Arden, but my very next thought is the food! Puffy cakes, creme brulee donuts, a forgetaboutit, powdered cookies with jam in the middle... and the corn on the cob! You have to blog about the corn on the cob! One of my favorite memories with Stephen. I think we got back in line for a second one while we were eating the first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom- I should blog about the corn! I started out with the idea to blog about mostly dessert, but I'm starting to think that there are WAY too many wonderful things that we've eaten that need to be blogged about. Like the corn.

      Delete