Thursday, August 16, 2012

A is for Alice's Tea Cup

Ok readers. I have decided that over the next few months I will compile a list of some of my favorite eats in NYC, in the form of the ABCs. Naturally, we'll start with A.




A is for Alice's Tea Cup. I like this place for a few reasons.
First, it is a magical place for kids and adults alike. When you walk in you feel as though you have been transported to Wonderland itself. Everything from the tepid water in your glass, to the traditional English scones, to the five-year old girls dressed as princesses having a tea party at the next table tells you that you aren't in New York anymore. They also have the best eggs benedict I've ever had (aside from my husband's, of course).


Arden enjoying her pumpkin scone
Second, as previously mentioned, they have scones. Not just any scones, mind you, but go- back- three- and- four- times- for- more- on- the- same- day scones. In my opinion, it is their specialty (besides tea, that is). My favorite flavor is the pumpkin spice, any time of year. Coming in at a close second is the lemon blueberry. Be sure to get them with a side of clotted cream and preserves. They may not be the most inventive flavors in the world, but it certainly is curiouser and curiouser how they get those things to be so perfectly moist and flavorful. If I lived nearby to any of their locations, I would have one for every one of my unbirthdays.


Extensive tea selection





The third reason why I like this place so much is the quirky and eccentric gifts that you can find within. I once found some "fairy dust" for my four year old (at the time) niece. I also found a magnet for my mom that says "Make your own damn dinner". You can also find adorable children's books and costumes.
Alice has three locations. One on the Upper West Side at 73rd and Columbus, and two others on the Upper East Side, at 64th and Lexington and 81st and 3rd Ave.


2 comments: