Tuesday, August 28, 2012

C is for colorful

One of the best things about summer here in NYC is the Greenmarket. Local family-owned farms transport their exquisitely organic, sweet, delicious and colorful fruits and veggies all the way down to the big apple for us city folk to partake of. (Amongst other goods such as: homemade pie, cage- free eggs, honeycomb, fresh fish and cheeses... the list goes on.)


There are two Greenmarkets near my apartment that come once a week. Today I found tomatoes, corn, onions, cucumbers, peaches, plums, yellow squash and some peppers for my spic-a-holic husband (who's taste buds are apparently rooted in his Mexican heritage).


Clearly, I got a little produce happy. (See photo) Come on though, what person in their right mind could resist, when the selection is this chromatically beautiful? No special lighting or anything of the like needed to make this beautiful loot look appetizing. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go make me some mean gazpacho.

5 comments:

  1. Ah I love this! I'll have to send you some pictures of the fruit markets here in Spain. We haven't found a market yet that has food this good looking, but I will let you know if I find any fruit or veggies that rival these beauties. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- I'm sure that you will be able to find food that rivals the food that I can find here! You have no idea how jealous I am of you for having all that yummy European food at your disposal!

      Delete
  2. That stuff looks great! I'd totally splurge too f those markets were near by house! Besides, home-grown cukes are SOOO much better than store-bought! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liesel- I know right? Home grown is always better!

      Delete
  3. My first impression was shocked that this was not a dessert! But alas, I must agee that a fresh tomato can taste so sweet as if it was sprinkled with sugar. And fresh peaches in milk is always a treat, even though, I follow it with a dessert of some kind!

    ReplyDelete